Brisket - Fat Side Down or Up?

Love me some ribs !!
Wife buys that Stubbs in sugar free.
You won’t be disappointed trust me 🇺🇸🇨🇱
We’ve had both kind of sauces before I like them so I’m sure it’ll be good.
Also, I intended this post to go into another topic but I goofed up. Sorry about that.
If you can move it, feel free to do so.

I cooked this 15 pound brisket two weeks ago on my Traeger Ironwood XL fat side up, and as you can see there's lots of bark.

Attachments

• IMG_5833.jpeg
    IMG_5833.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I always run fat cap up but I have a Heavy D deflector over my fire pot, a pizza stone on the bottom rack of my 1600 directly over the fire pot, and then a pan to catch the drippings on that. The brisket goes on my middle rack. With all that protection I never have an issue with cooking fat cap up directly over the fire pot.

I have always done Brisket fat cap up on my Reverse Flow and WSM. I also score the fat in a cross hatch pattern to let the rub penetrate down to the meat.
Y'all have got me to thinking now. I am new to smoking brisket on a pellet grill! I would place it up on the middle rack and place a foil pan underneath, but I agree that the heat is coming from below on this smoker. What to do? What to do?
Brisket is on sale here tomorrow....... (if you can call $4.88 / lb a sale! LOL)

Fat side down if you leave 1/4 inch of fat..its not bs. Either way will get good bark , but there's more to it.. ol timers will say fat side up as if pellet grills have been around for 50 years. Unlike offsets which have plenty of airflow, pellet grills get direct heat from below. The key is to get as much smoke flavor while also RENDERING the fat.. what i do is start cook @200 fat down for about 3 -4 hrs..then flip over fat side up the rest of the time @225, until 200 ish or probe tender. I will also move it around if I feel one side is cooking more than the other. I don't wrap until I rest. until temp comes down until 170 or about an hr resting on counter .. then I set my oven around 150ish. And wrap in foil with tallow over night... always perfect with fat rendered good bark and meat juicy. I always time it out day before around noon so I put in oven between 10pm and midnight. In the morning ill throw in cooler still wrapped in foil put a towel for insulation, there it will stay hot for about 4-6 hrs until we are ready to slice n serve depending on where we are going or lunch time.. you could also slice up for breakfast if you wanted since its plenty rested. Most people should plan on how they rest more. Smoking the whole way and wrapping at the end is goldies method. Good even trim is also key, save fat for tallow, save trimmed meat for ground beef for whatever.

Back