FNG checking in!!!

Coddiwompler

Media
Reaction score
Hey Y'all, thanks for letting me in the circle, I am new to the pellet grill/smoker scene. Just picked up an Austin XL Onyx. Hope to have it assembled and burning animal flesh by the weekend!!
any tips, insight, advice is more than welcomed!!
I do want to add a seal/gasket around the lid, thoughts on that & any other mods.
Thanks again hope to gain lots of info from you guys & will gladly share any i have.
It's a Great day to have a Great day !

Welcome to the forum. I've got an older non-Onyx Austin XL, although I've upgraded the controller to a Competition Series PID with Wifi.

Probably the best upgrade that I've made has been the flame tamer that goes over the fire pot. I also have the air gap modification and I've put a felt gasket around the edge of the lid. I've also made the finger guard on top of the pellet hopper removable.

After you use it, you may decide that you might be able to control your temps better if you don't use the heat diffuser (assuming the Onyx still comes with it), especially if you add a flame tamer and air gap mod.

I'm hoping to add a front shelf to it this summer. That's probably the last modification that I want to make.

Enjoy your new pellet grill!

Back