Help Attaching Smoke Daddy Smoke Generator to Grill

920cody

Media
Reaction score
Has anyone purchased a Smoke Daddy smoke generator and attached it to their grill using piping other than the threaded pipe it comes with? I’ve seen some attached with black pipe. I have a pro 1100 combo series from Lowes. I really don’t have a good mounting point using the threaded pipe the Smoke Daddy comes with. I’m looking to pipe it in from the bottom with either black pipe. I just don’t know what to use to connect to the grill and to the smoke daddy. The smoke daddy comes with locking nuts, but the threading is different than black pipe threads. Anyone?

Has anyone purchased a Smoke Daddy smoke generator and attached it to their grill using piping other than the threaded pipe it comes with? I’ve seen some attached with black pipe. I have a pro 1100 combo series from Lowes. I really don’t have a good mounting point using the threaded pipe the Smoke Daddy comes with. I’m looking to pipe it in from the bottom with either black pipe. I just don’t know what to use to connect to the grill and to the smoke daddy. The smoke daddy comes with locking nuts, but the threading is different than black pipe threads. Anyone?
Hi Cody,
Double check the threads. On Smoke Daddy website it looks like they are using 3/4" NPT threaded nipple. (National Pipe Thread) Pipe threads are a tapered thread. 3/4" Pipe has ID of 3/4"; the OD is 1.05" (1.1/16")
Pipe Daddy is using the thread pitch and diameter to make that nipple. Those nuts which are barely 1/8th thick can be found at the hardware store in the electrical conduit isle. Those thin nuts and washers are used by electricians to tie in rigid conduit to junction boxes.
Since you will be piping up a very low pressure system you can interchange the straight cut conduit threads with tapered Scheduled NPT threads used for pressurized systems.
I set my Fireboard blower system up just like what you are doing and I added a 1" threaded union. The threaded union will allow easy removal of the smoke generator for storage or maintenance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230109_080722.jpg
    Screenshot_20230109_080722.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 19
Hi Cody,
Double check the threads. On Smoke Daddy website it looks like they are using 3/4" NPT threaded nipple. (National Pipe Thread) Pipe threads are a tapered thread. 3/4" Pipe has ID of 3/4"; the OD is 1.05" (1.1/16")
Pipe Daddy is using the thread pitch and diameter to make that nipple. Those nuts which are barely 1/8th thick can be found at the hardware store in the electrical conduit isle. Those thin nuts and washers are used by electricians to tie in rigid conduit to junction boxes.
Since you will be piping up a very low pressure system you can interchange the straight cut conduit threads with tapered Scheduled NPT threads used for pressurized systems.
I set my Fireboard blower system up just like what you are doing and I added a 1" threaded union. The threaded union will allow easy removal of the smoke generator for storage or maintenance.
My problem is I need to attach the Smoke Daddy to the underside of the grill. I don't have room to attach it to the side, back or front. So, I can't use the NPT threaded pipe that comes with the Smoke Daddy. I've seen someone on one of the forums or FB groups I belong to attach the smoke daddy to the underside of the grill using black pipe, but I can't find that post to reach out to the person. The issue I'm coming across is how to firmly attach this black pipe to the grill and also firmly attach it to the smoke daddy. If there were nuts similar to what is used by electricians, for the black pipe, it would be a non-issue. But, there aren't any that I can determine. I've been to Home Depot and can't find anything.

Hi Cody,

Hi Cody,
My problem is I need to attach the Smoke Daddy to the underside of the grill. I don't have room to attach it to the side, back or front. So, I can't use the NPT threaded pipe that comes with the Smoke Daddy. I've seen someone on one of the forums or FB groups I belong to attach the smoke daddy to the underside of the grill using black pipe, but I can't find that post to reach out to the person. The issue I'm coming across is how to firmly attach this black pipe to the grill and also firmly attach it to the smoke daddy. If there were nuts similar to what is used by electricians, for the black pipe, it would be a non-issue. But, there aren't any that I can determine. I've been to Home Depot and can't find anything.
You will have to use a hole saw. I think a 1" diameter hole saw will cut a little big so the nipple supplied along with the two thin nuts and washers will make the penetration. Next put a 3/4 elbow on to get your run horizontal. Run a 3/4 x 8"Long nipple to attach the generator. Or 2 4" nipples and a union.

Attachments

• 20230109_083509.jpg
    20230109_083509.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 33
Hi Cody,

You will have to use a hole saw. I think a 1" diameter hole saw will cut a little big so the nipple supplied along with the two thin nuts and washers will make the penetration. Next put a 3/4 elbow on to get your run horizontal. Run a 3/4 x 8"Long nipple to attach the generator. Or 2 4" nipples and a union.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230109-084627_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230109-084627_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 22
Hi Cody,

I know exactly how to do it. The issue is there is the supplied pipe and nuts are 3/4" NPT electrical. I can't find a 3/4" threaded electrical 90 degree elbow to attach to the supplied pipe. I can find FPT black pipe elbows, but not NPT.

The picture you show is FPT threaded pipe, not NPT. So it won't connect to the supplied NPT fitting. I'm open to using FPT black pipe, but I can't seem to find nuts to firmly connect it to the grill or smoke daddy unit.

I know exactly how to do it. The issue is there is the supplied pipe and nuts are 3/4" NPT electrical. I can't find a 3/4" threaded electrical 90 degree elbow to attach to the supplied pipe. I can find FPT black pipe elbows, but not NPT.

The picture you show is FPT threaded pipe, not NPT. So it won't connect to the supplied NPT fitting. I'm open to using FPT black pipe, but I can't seem to find nuts to firmly connect it to the grill or smoke daddy
The nipple supplied by smoke daddy will connect to a NPT fitting. You might need two pair of Channel Lock pliers. Lowes or Home Depot have what you need. Take those thin nuts with you , those are in the electrical isle and they will fit any pipe nipple in the pipe isle.

Last edited:
The nipple supplied by smoke daddy will connect to a NPT fitting. You might need two pair of Channel Lock pliers. Lowes or Home Depot have what you need. Take those thin nuts with you , those are in the electrical isle and they will fit any pipe nipple in the pipe isle.
No, NPT.

Last edited:
I have it all figured out. I bought stainless steel piping and fittings on Amazon and have it put together and ready to install. I decided to build it so I can direct smoke to either my smoker, propane grill or both. I just have to get out there now and drill the holes in the grill and install.

I have it all figured out. I bought stainless steel piping and fittings on Amazon and have it put together and ready to install. I decided to build it so I can direct smoke to either my smoker, propane grill or both. I just have to get out there now and drill the holes in the grill and install.
Git after it! That should be good for some salmon.

Latest Discussions

Back