I’m new to this. Need some help

papalino

Reaction score
So I got a pb1150ps3 pellet smoker. I’ve read several ways to smoke/rest a brisket. Most says to smoke it to 195-205 internal. This is the 3rd time I tried and it comes out dry and overcooked. My basic understanding of beef is that med well should be at 135ish. So why smoke it to 200 degrees???

I’ve used a 4 lb brisket all 3 times

To put it simply, most smoked meat is cooked far beyond the USDA recommended done temperatures. The approx 200 degree range allows the collagen and such to melt down and make the surrounding meat juicy throughout. I’m sure someone will comment with a much more detailed explanation and give more insight.

I agree, sounds like the flat. I'd do a paper wrap instead of the braise because it's less hassle for me.
At 4lbs it had to been a flat instead of a whole packer. Which I find impossible to cook without being dry unless I braise it.
I smoke them till they hit stall 150-160. Then put on a rack in a pan with a au jus sealed till it hits probe tender.

Welcome from Rhode Island. Brisket has to be cooked to that temperature, so it is tender, otherwise it'll be tough like shoe leather. I'm not fond of beef well done so I smoke bottom round roasts to 130-138 degrees internally and they come out medium to medium rare.

Back