Lack of smoke

Knute

Media
Reaction score
I recently made a change in smokers and went with a pit boss stand up case version. It does not generate much smoke and I follow start up instructions. It's getting a bit frustrating as I'm smoking at °230. Also is there an easy way to completely empty the hopper as when near empty the remaining pellets just sit there. Lastly when the auger comes on how much pellets is dropped in the burn pot?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240220_130212_Pit Boss Grills.jpg
    Screenshot_20240220_130212_Pit Boss Grills.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 11
I have the same smoker. Get a couple smoke tubes from amazon for the extra smoke.
Ditto. In addition I started using chips mixed with pellets in the tubes. I get more smoke that way.
Additionally, I sometimes start at the smoke setting for a couple hours, which on my machine is about 130 F. That gets more smoke and after that period switch over to a usual cook temp.

I recently made a change in smokers and went with a pit boss stand up case version. It does not generate much smoke and I follow start up instructions. It's getting a bit frustrating as I'm smoking at °230. Also is there an easy way to completely empty the hopper as when near empty the remaining pellets just sit there. Lastly when the auger comes on how much pellets is dropped in the burn pot?
You don’t want to always to see the thick white smoke you always see at start up. White smoke indicate improper combustion and that smoke is full of particulates. Any food left in that kind of smoke for any period of time would render it extremely bitter. You want a thin blue or clear smoke that’s nearly invisible. The puffs you’ll see are the pellets dropping onto the firepot where they’ll smolder, producing the smoke you want.

You will never get near as much smoke flavor from a pellet grill as you would a stick burner. A pellet grill is over 90% efficient in the combustion process compared to around 50% with a stick burner. And if your smoker has a PID controller it is ~97% efficient. Being more efficient, you will get less visible smoke but you’re DEFINITELY going to taste it in your food.

You can add more smoke with a smoke tube or smoke generator but for many that have made the transition the ease of use is worth the trade off.

Attachments

• IMG_5448.jpeg
    IMG_5448.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 10
Do you want more smoke in the air so you can SEE it or more smoke flavor in your food so you can TASTE it?

Getting awesome smoke flavor in your food is not how much smoke the meat sits in, or what brand of pellet is burning but in how long your meat sits in the Smoke.

Why buy a smoke tube? If you turn the dial down, You can enjoy the real smoke flavor. Turn your dial down... Lower temperature =Longer time to cook= longer exposure to

Smoke and more time to absorb that smoke= More Smoke flavor.

You get just as much smoke production at 200-250° as you do on the Smoke setting. But the difference is that at the lower temperature setting (Smoke) the meat sits in the smoke longer to reach the desired IT and absorbs more smoke flavor.

—————

On the Smoke dial setting you want a temp around 170-180°, +/- 10 degrees. Smoke your food for 60-75% of your cook then, if necessary to achieve your desired finish IT, turn up the temp to 225/250° to finish.

When I’m smoking on the smoke dial setting (170-180°) and the meats Internal Temperature (IT) reaches or gets close to the dial setting temperature as what’s on the smoker’s controller, I’ll turn the dial to 250° so the meats IT continues to rise.

The meats IT is the only temperature I monitor.

Use a pellet flavor that will impart your desired level and depth of smoke - oak, mesquite or hickory = stronger smoke ; a fruitwood ( apple, cherry, pecan) imparts a much milder, sweeter smoke.

Attachments

• IMG_0394.jpeg
    IMG_0394.jpeg
    307.6 KB · Views: 12
Access panel at the rear will allow you to dump and refill. Auger runs at 2 RPM … so about 1/3 cup a minute.

Back