Lockhart Chimneys

FrankR

Reaction score
I just purchased a Pit Boss Lockhart for an houseboat on Greers Ferry, Arkansas. Getting it down to the docks and onto the upper deck of my boat was a real adventure as it weighs 260 pounds. I am now trying to learn how to use it. I am a bit confused about the chimneys and their effect on smoker temperature and smoke. I can’t really see much effect on the temperature and the smoke is almost invisible to see and to estimate quantity. Any thoughts on where to set the chimneys to affect temp and smoke? Thanks, Frank.

Welcome from Texas to the group!
I have the 820 and I’ve had mine up then back down and it stays the same
I just don’t see any benefits myself
I do use a smoke tube for more smoke.
Of course right over the firebox is where the most heat is so I place my meat on either side.
On brisket and pork butt i place it in the center but place an aluminum pan under the grates with either water or apple juice
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

I don’t think I phrased my question well. The Lockhart has two chimneys and their caps can be screwed up and down to limit or increase airflow. Sorry. I am trying to figure what the effects on temp and smoke are. I appreciate your responses.

I don’t think I phrased my question well. The Lockhart has two chimneys and their caps can be screwed up and down to limit or increase airflow. Sorry. I am trying to figure what the effects on temp and smoke are. I appreciate your responses.
I’d just leave them screwed down

Thus far the chimney caps don’t seem to have much effect. By keepimg the upper and lower grids open and putting the temp to “H” I can bring the smoker up to 225 in about 10 minutes. I can then drop the grill temp to 325 and maintain a smoking temp of 225. I think that I will be able to play with the upper and lower grids to keep the smoker at 225 but vary grill temps so that I can cook something else at a quite different temp on the grill. Pretty sweet!

Back