PBV4PS2 Controller Upgrade Options

Has anyone ever tried a smoke daddy PID on the PBV4PS2? I been thinking about trying it myself. Was just curious if it's ever been done.

Two things:
1. They are upgrading the controller to have better increments....but it is still delayed as far as I know...but it is supposed to be out this summer. Will they update the old ones....not sure....but if ours happened to break(?)...Ahem. :)

2. If you have a friend with a Rec Tec....they can buy you a controller.....I owned one and bought a spare. I installed it into my Pro Series 4 V2.....and it is AMAZING...!! 5 degree increments....it gets to 350 in 18 mins and holds perfectly. Highly recommend this upgrade if you can find anyone....and if you do....message me and I can help you install it. It also has a RTD Offset.....so you can offset the probe temperature to read the same as the middle of the center grate. It is dead nuts on right at the middle of where I place the meat. I used Lexan so I could see where to drill the holes and then I spray painted with the "Hammered Metal Black" and it matches perfectly.

View attachment 1119 View attachment 1120
View attachment 1118

View attachment 1117
Will this work for a pb440d2?

I hope this exact issue/question hasn't been posted (I haven't found it yet) ... I have a Pit Boss PBV4PS2 vertical smoker that has a bad controller. Like everyone else I'm still waiting for a new warranty replacement (3 months and counting) so I found a Camp Chef Gen 2 non WiFi controller.
Does anyone know if this can be converted for use on the Pit Boss? The Camp Chef has 5 wires exiting the circuit board while the PB board has 7. The only difference I can find is a lack of a separate temp probe wire on the Camp Chef.
I don't want to start cutting wires before I know exactly where they need to go...
Any help or diagram would be greatly appreciated!

I hope this exact issue/question hasn't been posted (I haven't found it yet) ... I have a Pit Boss PBV4PS2 vertical smoker that has a bad controller. Like everyone else I'm still waiting for a new warranty replacement (3 months and counting) so I found a Camp Chef Gen 2 non WiFi controller.
Does anyone know if this can be converted for use on the Pit Boss? The Camp Chef has 5 wires exiting the circuit board while the PB board has 7. The only difference I can find is a lack of a separate temp probe wire on the Camp Chef.
I don't want to start cutting wires before I know exactly where they need to go...
Welcome from Texas to the group !
Would be worth a shot 🇺🇸🇨🇱

Post any pictures or pdf of the camp chef and I will sketch u something. I put in a req teq one and it works amazing!

Post any pictures or pdf of the camp chef and I will sketch u something. I put in a req teq one and it works amazing!
Thanks!
Here is what I have;
The big difference I find id the internal temp probe wire is missing on the Gen2.
Any way around this? I'm a pretty handy guy with wiring but don't want to just start cutting without a solid plan.
THANKS in advance !!

Attachments

• Gen2.jpg
    Gen2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 19
  •  Gen2 Schematic.jpg
    Gen2 Schematic.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Pit Biss PVB4PS2 Schematic.jpg
    Pit Biss PVB4PS2 Schematic.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 20
Thanks!
Here is what I have;
The big difference I find id the internal temp probe wire is missing on the Gen2.
Any way around this? I'm a pretty handy guy with wiring but don't want to just start cutting without a solid plan.
THANKS in advance !!
You can buy one on Amazon.

Then you could see how to fit it in the pitboss or you could cut the wire at the sensor side and splice it into the pitboss rtd. That is what I would do.

Then you could see how to fit it in the pitboss or you could cut the wire at the sensor side and splice it into the pitboss rtd. That is what I would do.
Thanks but that's not the issue, the Gen 2 does not appear to have a compatible temp probe "wire" to attach.
As I stated the PB has 7 wires exiting their board and the Gen2 only has 5. Sooo, by simple addition and subtraction the PB has 2 more wires than the Gen 2 ..... Checking both schematics, I find that the only difference is the internal temp probe is missing? on the GEN 2. In other words,
I am looking for a work around

I had an opportunity to examine the Gen2 board and although not exactly the same as the board on Amazon, I did find an empty Molex connector on the board labeled "RTD". I think you may have solved my problems. I will need to buy a new temp probe because the molex connector on the Gen2 board does not match any of the existing connectors. Can you please confirm this is the correct connection before I buy the probe.
Again, THANKS in advance !!

Attachments

• RTD Probe.jpg
    RTD Probe.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 17
Thanks but that's not the issue, the Gen 2 does not appear to have a compatible temp probe "wire" to attach.
As I stated the PB has 7 wires exiting their board and the Gen2 only has 5. Sooo, by simple addition and subtraction the PB has 2 more wires than the Gen 2 ..... Checking both schematics, I find that the only difference is the internal temp probe is missing? on the GEN 2. In other words,
I am looking for a work around

I had an opportunity to examine the Gen2 board and although not exactly the same as the board on Amazon, I did find an empty Molex connector on the board labeled "RTD". I think you may have solved my problems. I will need to buy a new temp probe because the molex connector on the Gen2 board does not match any of the existing connectors. Can you please confirm this is the correct connection before I buy the probe.
Again, THANKS in advance !!
It looked like a match to the connector I saw from a picture on the board and most camp chef rtd connectors are the same. You should be good to go.

Latest Discussions

Back