Super Smoke on Pit Boss 850?

Is there a super smoke function on the PB850?
I believe what you're talkin about is the S mode your grill starts in when first powered up. Other pellet grills call it super smoke.
I run mine on S (looks like 5) for smoke flavor to start. Then set my cook temp and I don't count smoke time as cook time.

I believe what you're talkin about is the S mode your grill starts in when first powered up. Other pellet grills call it super smoke.
I run mine on S (looks like 5) for smoke flavor to start. Then set my cook temp and I don't count smoke time as cook time.
Yep, that is exactly what I was talking about. Thank you.

Now, I have another question. I was a bit concerned about how to actually clean it? With my Traeger (which I sold), I simply covered it with aluminum foil so the drippings, and sauces, are not based on the plate. No mess. No fuss. How do you clean yours?

Now, I have another question. I was a bit concerned about how to actually clean it? With my Traeger (which I sold), I simply covered it with aluminum foil so the drippings, and sauces, are not based on the plate. No mess. No fuss. How do you clean yours?
I don't use the sear function so I keep my plate covered in foil. Which also lets me block the opening on the left side where temp probe is.

If you are going to use the sear function, you could always smoke your food over an aluminum tray, like this:

1708447833680.png

Then you don't have to wrap your drip pan in foil and gives you the option to open up the sear plate quite easily. I use this method even if I'm not searing to make cleanup easy.

When cleaning grates and gunk, I have found that Dawn Powerwash is a miracle cleaner. Simply spray it on. Let it set for 5 minutes or so, and wipe off. You may have to repeat it a few times, but the grates and surfaces look brand new after using this stuff.

One thing I did notice in a few videos is that the powder coating under the hood had been burned off. Is this something that happens with all of these models? Is this something to be concerned about?

When cleaning grates and gunk, I have found that Dawn Powerwash is a miracle cleaner. Simply spray it on. Let it set for 5 minutes or so, and wipe off. You may have to repeat it a few times, but the grates and surfaces look brand new after using this stuff.

One thing I did notice in a few videos is that the powder coating under the hood had been burned off. Is this something that happens with all of these models? Is this something to be concerned about?
Just take loose costing off and spray it with olive oil. You’ll be fine 🇺🇸🇺🇸

I have the 850 and no matter how clean you keep the grill you still have to pull it to clean out the burn pot ashes. I got a ig cookie sheet, covered w/ foil and use two jerky racks to cook on. Easy to clean, just change foil on cookie sheet and vacuum burn pot.

Once you are in the S mode you can toggle through the P settings, 0-7. It's a timer based auger run. 0 runs more pellets into the pot, 7 is less pellets. It's not closed lol based on temp so 0 is more pellets so more smoke but the temp will be higher, 225 ish on mine. I normally run in the P1 to 2 range to hold temps around 200. You just have to play with it some to get the hang of it.

ETA
I will use a pan under the meat when smoking but use the sear plate open for burgers, it does a niiiiiice burger. When the smoker is cold the plate will be stuck due to drippings from the last cook but when it warms up the plate frees up.

Once you are in the S mode you can toggle through the P settings, 0-7. It's a timer based auger run. 0 runs more pellets into the pot, 7 is less pellets. It's not closed lol based on temp so 0 is more pellets so more smoke but the temp will be higher, 225 ish on mine. I normally run in the P1 to 2 range to hold temps around 200. You just have to play with it some to get the hang of it.

ETA
I will use a pan under the meat when smoking but use the sear plate open for burgers, it does a niiiiiice burger. When the smoker is cold the plate will be stuck due to drippings from the last cook but when it warms up the plate frees up.
Very interesting. About the sear plate, this is another feature that I loved, which made me go with the 850 model; this and the wifi. I just picked up about $150 worth of product of Wild Fork. I bought roasts, pichana, ribs, tri-tips. I LOVE tri-tip and can't wait to try the searing option on that bad boy.

Back