Thoughts on another smoker

Kyle22388

Media
Reaction score
Thinking about ordering a camp chef XXL, the new fire box design that allows for additional lump to be added is pretty cool. The camp chef XXL is what I'm looking at. Anyone own one of these? How does it compare to the pitboss pro 4 onyx copperhead and similar vertical smokers? Certainly love my PB just wondering if I'm missing out on anything . Doesn't look like the camp chef uses a water pan

Thinking about ordering a camp chef XXL, the new fire box design that allows for additional lump to be added is pretty cool. The camp chef XXL is what I'm looking at. Anyone own one of these? How does it compare to the pitboss pro 4 onyx copperhead and similar vertical smokers? Certainly love my PB just wondering if I'm missing out on anything . Doesn't look like the camp chef uses a water pan
Yah - I looked at that one also -- I did not see a water pan either and it is not a true double wall construction. I ended up ordering the PBV7PW1 Sportsman series 7 from PB because I wanted the extra height for sausage making. I can get extra smoke with a smoke tube if needed. Let us know if you purchase it and what your thoughts are. PB is way behind on their shipments and I am still waiting for it to ship -- ordered 6/29

i got one, went back and forth between that and some of the pit bosses, ended up deciding on the Camp Chef. and its pretty amazing. there is no water pan, but you can easily put a pan on the grease catch and not lose any cooking space, and there is a ton of cooking space! also the added smoke box makes a HUGE difference, i made a chuck tender roast and it had a super thick like 1/4 inch+ smoke ring!

the not being double walled, well isnt much of a concern for me as i live in FL, they do make a jacket for it if you live in and want to smoke in a cold environment.

the drawbacks, putting it together was pretty time consuming, im not much of a handy person, but im not stupid either, but there were a few times where it was just awkward and hard by my self to get screws in.

the handle get HOT when smoking at above like 300, i normally smoke between 225-250, but the few times i went to 350, it was like dangerously hot. i usually do the white cotton gloves with nitrile gloves over it when smoking and is usually enough for opening the door and moving food around and sliding racks in and out a bit, but not at that temp, i still cant touch the door handle. that would be a mod id suggest if youre handy like that, is a thicker silicon cover for the door handle.

i think youd be fine with either a PB or CC, i do like the ash cleanout on the CC way more than the PB, personally. any questions, feel free to ask!

i got one, went back and forth between that and some of the pit bosses, ended up deciding on the Camp Chef. and its pretty amazing. there is no water pan, but you can easily put a pan on the grease catch and not lose any cooking space, and there is a ton of cooking space! also the added smoke box makes a HUGE difference, i made a chuck tender roast and it had a super thick like 1/4 inch+ smoke ring!

the not being double walled, well isnt much of a concern for me as i live in FL, they do make a jacket for it if you live in and want to smoke in a cold environment.

the drawbacks, putting it together was pretty time consuming, im not much of a handy person, but im not stupid either, but there were a few times where it was just awkward and hard by my self to get screws in.

the handle get HOT when smoking at above like 300, i normally smoke between 225-250, but the few times i went to 350, it was like dangerously hot. i usually do the white cotton gloves with nitrile gloves over it when smoking and is usually enough for opening the door and moving food around and sliding racks in and out a bit, but not at that temp, i still cant touch the door handle. that would be a mod id suggest if youre handy like that, is a thicker silicon cover for the door handle.

i think youd be fine with either a PB or CC, i do like the ash cleanout on the CC way more than the PB, personally. any questions, feel free to ask!
@JuggNuttz - You may be able to find a silicon pan handle sleeve (usually for cast iron pans) that will fit over the handle to help insulate it from the heat during your hotter cooks. Just a thought as it is what I would do.

Sure! If I do not get my PB soon (over a month now to ship????) I may be getting the xxl myself. What is the inside height from the sausage hooks to the grease pan? Thanks!
it started raining on me, so i didnt pull the shelves for an exact measurement, but its about 18 inches from bottom of the hook to the grease pan, from eye balling the tape measure from the front of the door.

it started raining on me, so i didnt pull the shelves for an exact measurement, but its about 18 inches from bottom of the hook to the grease pan, from eye balling the tape measure from the front of the door.
OK thanks! The cook chamber is the same size as my current smoke vault 24 - i want a little bit more length.

Last edited:
Back