Why doesn't the app alert when the cook is finished?

brandoncopley

Reaction score
As the title says, I would love it if the app would alert me as to when my cook is done. I have a wifi thermometer that alerts me as well, but I'd rather lose that thermometer and stick with the pit boss probes instead.

The app alerts for a few other things, but not for this fairly basic feature "Cook is finished". The single most important part of the app.

As the title says, I would love it if the app would alert me as to when my cook is done. I have a wifi thermometer that alerts me as well, but I'd rather lose that thermometer and stick with the pit boss probes instead.

The app alerts for a few other things, but not for this fairly basic feature "Cook is finished". The single most important part of the app.
The cook is finished when the appropriate Internal Temperature is reached. Set your meat probe to that appropriate temperature so you can then check to see if it’s probe tender done.

So, “FINISH” Temperatures and times are just estimates and good targets BUT only probe tender tells you when it’s really done, it’s not whenever a clock or thermometer reaches a set point. Basically, once it hits a 190° IT, start probing for tenderness. Once it ALL feels like it’s going into soft peanut butter across the entire surface, or if it has them, the bones pull out cleanly … that’s when you know it’s really done!

The cook is finished when the appropriate Internal Temperature is reached. Set your meat probe to that appropriate temperature so you can then check to see if it’s probe tender done.

So, “FINISH” Temperatures and times are just estimates and good targets BUT only probe tender tells you when it’s really done, it’s not whenever a clock or thermometer reaches a set point. Basically, once it hits a 190° IT, start probing for tenderness. Once it ALL feels like it’s going into soft peanut butter across the entire surface, or if it has them, the bones pull out cleanly … that’s when you know it’s really done!
While I appreciate the truths here. The answer has absolutely nothing to do with my statement. When I’m at 190 and ready to start probing I have to manually check the app, I can’t set an ALARM that pings me.

I’ll be working on the yard and wanting to get alerts rather than constantly be checking the incredibly slow pit boss app. It used to be fast, but now it takes over 35 seconds to load the current temperature in the app, if 1/3 times it even works, normally it times out.

Setting an alarm that alerts you is important, they let you set the temp, but no alarm sounds. That seems like a gross oversight.

While I appreciate the truths here. The answer has absolutely nothing to do with my statement. When I’m at 190 and ready to start probing I have to manually check the app, I can’t set an ALARM that pings me.

I’ll be working on the yard and wanting to get alerts rather than constantly be checking the incredibly slow pit boss app. It used to be fast, but now it takes over 35 seconds to load the current temperature in the app, if 1/3 times it even works, normally it times out.

Setting an alarm that alerts you is important, they let you set the temp, but no alarm sounds. That seems like a gross oversight.
This is why I use standalone temp probes and manually change my temps on grill.
Stupid app made my grill go stupid to many times to trust it.

Yes. And I still haven’t found a great WiFi meat probe, Meater single probe (multi probe is worthless) works great with a nearby iPad, but that’s a bit of a pain. The ThermoWorks also works, but it’s got similar connection issues the MEATER multi probe has. They don’t work on 5g networks so you need a dedicated 2.4Ghz WiFi network which is legacy.

Hey. I’m having the same issue as you, I think. I can set a target temp on the MPC probe, but when that target is reached I get no notification. Nothing changes at all, so what’s even the point of setting the target? Is this a bug in the app?

Yes. And I still haven’t found a great WiFi meat probe, Meater single probe (multi probe is worthless) works great with a nearby iPad, but that’s a bit of a pain. The ThermoWorks also works, but it’s got similar connection issues the MEATER multi probe has. They don’t work on 5g networks so you need a dedicated 2.4Ghz WiFi network which is legacy.
The Inkbird IBBQ-4T has been a workhorse for me. I actually have two now.

Check out the ThermoWorks RFX series. I ordered mine and it should ship next week. I got the 4 probe kit and will end up with a couple more probes.

Latest Discussions

Back