Will a lower temp setting result in more smoke?

My Lexington Onyx doesn't have a "smoke" setting on the controller. I've read that a lower temperature setting will produce more smoke. I really hadn't noticed this on my smoker, but is this the case?
Getting awesome smoke flavor in your food is not how much smoke the meat sits in, or what brand of pellet is burning but in how long your meat sits in the Smoke.

Why buy a smoke tube? If you turn the dial down, You can enjoy the real smoke flavor. Turn your dial down... Lower temperature =Longer time to cook= longer exposure to

Smoke and more time to absorb that smoke= More Smoke flavor.

You get just as much smoke production at 200-250° as you do on the Smoke setting. But the difference is that at the lower temperature setting (Smoke) the meat sits in the smoke longer to reach the desired IT and absorbs more smoke flavor.

—————

On the Smoke dial setting you want a temp around 170-180°, +/- 10 degrees. Smoke your food for 60-75% of your cook then, if necessary to achieve your desired finish IT, turn up the temp to 225/250° to finish.

When I’m smoking on the smoke dial setting (170-180°) and the meats Internal Temperature (IT) reaches or gets close to the dial setting temperature as what’s on the smoker’s controller, I’ll turn the dial to 250° so the meats IT continues to rise.

The meats IT is the only temperature I monitor.

Use a pellet flavor that will impart your desired level and depth of smoke - oak, mesquite or hickory = stronger smoke ; a fruitwood ( apple, cherry, pecan) imparts a much milder, sweeter smoke.

Attachments

• IMG_0394.jpeg
    IMG_0394.jpeg
    307.6 KB · Views: 16

Latest Discussions

Back