Do I Really Need to Unplug My Rig?

Slider

Media
Reaction score
I owned a Traeger for years and never unplugged it. I just got a new PB Pro Series 850 and I read in the manual that I should always unplug it. Why? I have a breaker on all of my outdoor electrical boxes, so to avoid any sudden spikes.

I owned a Traeger for years and never unplugged it. I just got a new PB Pro Series 850 and I read in the manual that I should always unplug it. Why? I have a breaker on all of my outdoor electrical boxes, so to avoid any sudden spikes.
Always unplug.
It cost me a controller a couple of years ago
We got a lightning strike

I unplug too.

Why? I don't use mine enough to keep it plugged in, so I don't have to trip over my extension cord. Also, I don't want to get an electrical surge to knock out my controller. And finally, you will see people on this forum occasionally say that their pellet grill started by itself. I don't think it's very common at all, but why take the chance.

I few months ago we responded to a carbon monoxide call ( I am volunteer firefighter ), weather was cold home owner cooking in large 3 bay garage door opening. Middle of the night carbon monoxide detectors in the home activated. The smoker was still on plugged in, and stored inside closed garage. CO eventually got into the home via garage rear grade / garage entrance doors. Goes to prove they can easily be on, you forget because you are used to the smell etc. Unplug also would be my advice.

Anyone who keeps a lit smoker in their garage is a moron. As a matter of fact, anyone who uses a smoker in a garage, not at the edge of the garage near the door, but actually IN the garage, should simply sell it to their neighbor.

I keep mine plugged in, but it's plugged into a surge protector strip that gets turned off after cool down.

Back