How Do I Braise on My Pit Boss?

Slider

Media
Reaction score
I found this kick-ass recipe for braising short ribs in a Dutch oven (see below). I just got a new Pit Boss Pro Series 850 and it states that I can braise on it. I would love to use it for this recipe. But I have never braised anything on a smoker. Any insight or tips would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Braised Short Ribs
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup rice vinegar
  • 6 cups low-sodium beef broth
  • 1/2 cup fish sauce or soy sauce
  • 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
  • 6 small dried red chile peppers, seeded if desired
  • 10 to 12 cloves garlic (1 head)
  • 6 scallions, trimmed and cut lengthwise in half
  • 4-inch piece peeled ginger root, cut crosswise into very thin slices
  • 2 sticks cinnamon
  • 4 pieces whole star anise
  • 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
  • Florets from 2 large heads broccoli (slightly more than 3/4 pound total)

Directions​

1. Step 1​

Combine the sugar and 2 tablespoons of the vinegar in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture caramelizes.
  2. Step 2​

Add the beef broth and the fish sauce or soy sauce, along with the remaining vinegar; stir until the caramelized mixture melts.
  3. Step 3​

Add the short ribs, chili peppers, garlic, scallions, ginger, cinnamon, star anise and five-spice powder. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for about 4 hours, stirring occasionally, until the short ribs are fork-tender and fall off the bone. Mash the garlic cloves, if desired, and stir them into the braising liquid. Discard the cinnamon sticks, star anise and the bones, if desired.
  4. Step 4​

Heat an inch of water in a medium pot over high heat. Once it comes to a boil, add the broccoli florets. Cover and steam for about 5 minutes.
  5. Step 5​

Divide the ribs and broccoli among individual plates, spooning some of the braising liquid over the meat; serve hot.

Back