Major temp fluctuations

Darrell B

Reaction score
First time on the forum. My 1600 Pro Series got weird. The day was mid 30’s and damp. The warmup was normal. The cook temp was at 180 for 30 minutes and when I increased it to 220 it dropped slowly to 160. It climbed way too slow and I tryed increasing the temp higher. Little response. I went to 300 and it began to climb and made it to 220 at which time I set the control to 220. The question is why on a cold day did it drop several times when I increased the temp setting. This is the first time this happened. No clue!

First time on the forum. My 1600 Pro Series got weird. The day was mid 30’s and damp. The warmup was normal. The cook temp was at 180 for 30 minutes and when I increased it to 220 it dropped slowly to 160. It climbed way too slow and I tryed increasing the temp higher. Little response. I went to 300 and it began to climb and made it to 220 at which time I set the control to 220. The question is why on a cold day did it drop several times when I increased the temp setting. This is the first time this happened. No clue!
Welcome from Texas to the group!!🇺🇸🇺🇸
How often do you clean it including the temperature sensor?
Were you dealing with high winds?

Thanks for your interest. Well I ran a test that focused on the PB’s ability to function in various outside air temps and temp setting changes that included checking the PB’s temp calibrations. The temps read low by about 25-30 degrees F. I also did a seven point temp check inside the the PB and found the temps varied as much as 30 degrees from one point to another at three different Temp settings. The higher the temp setting the the larger the temp difference. The test was done at different outside air temperatures.
The conditions that caused my temperature issues were both the colder outside air temperature and the PBs inability to process small increases in temp settings when outside air temps are under 45 degrees.
I intend to reduce my cooking temps by 25 degrees F and locate the protein strategically.

Last edited:
Thanks for your interest. Well I ran a test that focused on the PB’s ability to function in various outside air temps and temp setting changes that included checking the PB’s temp calibrations. The temps read low by about 25-30 degrees F. I also did a seven point temp check inside the the PB and found the temps varied as much as 30 degrees from one point to another at three different Temp settings. The higher the temp setting the the larger the temp difference. The test was done at different outside air temperatures.
The conditions that caused my temperature issues were both the colder outside air temperature and the PBs inability to process small increases in temp settings when outside air temps are under 45 degrees.
I intend to reduce my cooking temps by 25 degrees F and locate the protein strategically.
P.B. has an insulated hood cover for cold Temps and I got one for my 850 and it really seems to help. Also they are really well made and I smoke at least once a week in SLC UT temps.

Hi Darrell!
I have been having the same trouble on the PB1100PS. If I set it for 300, it'll go there and stay there. If I try any lower temperature, it will drop all the way to around 170. Low and slow, as in ribs, pork butt or brisket - not possible unless I sit there and work the controls up and down for hours on end, hoping to average around 225. I have cleaned the temperature probe. I have cleaned the temperature probe. I also have installed one of those add-on sheet metal shiels on the left end so the heat doesn't flow up that way past the thermostat probe, which I have cleaned. I asked on this site what I should try, and numerous people suggested I clean the temperature probe. I am going to try to reach Pit Boss Customer Service, and after they suggest I clean the temperature probe, hopefully they will either send me a new control unit that fits, or guide me to another source. Did I mention that I've cleaned the temperature sensor probe, as suggested? I know this won't help, but your problem sounds just like mine, and this is the only thing left before the nuclear option.

Hi Darrell!
I have been having the same trouble on the PB1100PS. If I set it for 300, it'll go there and stay there. If I try any lower temperature, it will drop all the way to around 170. Low and slow, as in ribs, pork butt or brisket - not possible unless I sit there and work the controls up and down for hours on end, hoping to average around 225. I have cleaned the temperature probe. I have cleaned the temperature probe. I also have installed one of those add-on sheet metal shiels on the left end so the heat doesn't flow up that way past the thermostat probe, which I have cleaned. I asked on this site what I should try, and numerous people suggested I clean the temperature probe. I am going to try to reach Pit Boss Customer Service, and after they suggest I clean the temperature probe, hopefully they will either send me a new control unit that fits, or guide me to another source. Did I mention that I've cleaned the temperature sensor probe, as suggested? I know this won't help, but your problem sounds just like mine, and this is the only thing left before the nuclear option.
Don't know if either of you have verified the smoker burn pot is clean. I use a shop vac to clean the ash out. I also bought a heat deflector (the 3 hole) and remeasured my grate temps and all are within like 10-15*. I have the 850 pro.

Welcome to the world of pit boss. Mine cooks perfect at 225-250. Set it any higher and it goes nuts. Super hot not even close to set temp. Yes i cleansd the probe

Don't know if either of you have verified the smoker burn pot is clean. I use a shop vac to clean the ash out. I also bought a heat deflector (the 3 hole) and remeasured my grate temps and all are within like 10-15*. I have the 850 pro.
I checked everything and determined that this is a fair weather machine. I did another cook at an OAT at 52 degrees with no issues.
Welcome to the world of pit boss. Mine cooks perfect at 225-250. Set it any higher and it goes nuts. Super hot not even close to set temp. Yes i cleansd the probe

I checked everything and determined that this is a fair weather machine. I did another cook at an OAT at 52 degrees with no issues.

I did a complete temp study and my PB indicated temp reads 25 degrees lower than the actual measured inside the PB. This is after I installed a new temp probe and controller. The original components caused the temps to run away and keep climbing. Not quite ready for prime time.

Back