New to Pit Boss from Australia

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Pitt boss members.

I am totally new to pellet cooking, last week I settled on the Pit boss Pro series 850 We don't have to many models to choose from in Australia.
I love the science around this type of cooking. I cooked my first ribs on Saturday using the heath riles competition ribs. They worked fairly well.

However, the first problem I have come across is the temperature differential. I placed the ribs on the top rack with an independent probe (therompro TP2O) . I am getting 20C temp difference from what the cooker is stating and what the therompro is stating.

Have I done something wrong or need to fix????

Hello Fellow Pitt boss members.

I am totally new to pellet cooking, last week I settled on the Pit boss Pro series 850 We don't have to many models to choose from in Australia.
I love the science around this type of cooking. I cooked my first ribs on Saturday using the heath riles competition ribs. They worked fairly well.

However, the first problem I have come across is the temperature differential. I placed the ribs on the top rack with an independent probe (therompro TP2O) . I am getting 20C temp difference from what the cooker is stating and what the therompro is stating.

Have I done something wrong or need to fix????
Welcome from Texas to the group!!
Give it a few cooks to settle in
My 820 did the same thing
I use a INKBIRD and never worry about the pitboss temp
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

welcome to the forum pellet smokers are known to have internal temp variables dont rely on the temp set just cook by meat temp and have a secondary prob handy even a hand held is nice once you learn your machine you will know how far off your meat prob is and will know when to pull the meat accordingly
happy smoking

Welcome Dusty
Just work it man. It's an art not a culinary science. Get to know the girl first and then you 2 can dance.

If y'all do a chili down under smoke the meat and the put the whole thing in with the sear plate open and cook it. Trust me.

You might just forget (cliche up here) shrimp on the barby.

Welcome. I am from Melbourne. I upgraded from the pb 750 to the Pitboss pro 850 just before Xmas. I find that ribs work best on the right hand side of the smoker on the grids as this is the coolest part. As other members have mentioned it trial and error and practice.

I did notice that with the PID controller on the 850 that you don’t get as much smoke. I have started using a smoking tube.

Hope this helps

Thanks Jooster... nice to hear from a fellow Melbournian. Looking forward to the foody season to start :)

I haven't cooked on the lower section yet. As I have just purchased the BBQ and still working it out. I can say the upper level has a 20c difference from LH to RH on the upper rack. What's is your preference??

By the way what pallets are you using. I am finding it hard to find stock other brands other than Pitt boss or Trauger ??

Hi Dusty

My preference is always on the grates not the upper rack. In fact I take it out as I find it gets in the way.

I buy my bbq and pellets from-

Aussie Bbq smoke
58 Frankston Garden drive
Carrum Downs.

It’s one of the best bbq suppliers around. He is an ex pat American so he knows his stuff re bbq and smoking.

I have attached a picture of the pellets I use. They are a great blend and have little dust.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_5074.jpeg
    IMG_5074.jpeg
    330.1 KB · Views: 10
Back