🔥 What's Smoking/Cooking on your Pit Boss?

fyi Robert's has some really good jerky in my opinion. If you haven't tried it, ask for a sample or pick some up next time you're there!
Thanks, will do. I was going to try some garlic sticks, but it was pretty busy so I skipped it. Didn't realize they have good jerky. Any particular flavor?

I think their regular. they might have a pepper or hot version as well. I tried roberts vs karl's country market vs Kettle range meats and Roberts won out.
I feel like I'm hijacking this thread to discuss Milwaukee area butcher shops. Sorry everyone.

I love Karl's sausage, but I'm the only one in the house that likes jerky so I haven't bought any from there yet. Bunzel's has amazing Landjaeger and garlic sticks.

What do you think about Kettle Range? In general, not just jerky. I saw that they opened up a store in Elm Grove, but haven't been there yet. Can you go in and just shop? Or do you have to order one of their packages and pick up? I couldn't tell from the website.

Thank you for your recommendations.

Can you go in and just shop?
yeah sorry all.. last comment from me about it, i swear!
you can just go in and shot. they have a unfrozen case, frozen case, a few brown bag take and cook type meals, and a couple coolers with other non frozen foods. I got some chuck eye steaks and smoked then seared em from there and they were quite good. Its just really expensive. Most of the meat looks good though.

I live near the elm grove one.

I'll bring it back to the threat, I have this 3lb pork belly curing in the frig that i plan to smoke this weekend and I'm very excited about it!
20230616_174328.jpg

My Roast Beef from a few posts ago turned out ok. I cooked it pretty rare-medium rare. The flavor of the brine was awesome but it didn't penetrate as deeply as I'd like. Next time I'll inject and brine for longer, as well as go for closer to medium than med-rare. The slicer, however, worked like a million bucks. Which leads to the next thing, the bacon.

Dry brined and cured for 5 or 6 days, then dried off in the frig for another day or two after a good rinse. It smoked for 4-5 hours at 180 and looked incredible with LJ Char-Hickory in the hopper and LJ Hickory in the smoke tube. For kicks I threw a low sodium spam dusted with Sucklebuster's Honey BBQ rub on with it.
20230623_213734.jpg

After slicing, I immediately put a slice or two in a pan and fried them up. The down side... My bacon is nearly inedible due to salt. I followed a recipe which did not use a ratio but was for the same size portion (~3lb).. combo of spices, salt, curing salt and sugar.. Anyway, flavor is awesome but its tough to eat a full strip. It might be good for cooking with, so I sliced it up and froze it in to 8 strip packs.
20230625_073009.jpg

I probably could have tried soaking it for a day to see if it'd pull some salt out, but i just blasted through in my disappointment. I'm just really glad I have another 3lb and a 4lb hunks of belly in the freezer waiting for perfection.

The spam turned out really good though :)

Edit: soaking these overly salted strips in water for 5-6 minutes results in perfect bacon.

Last edited:
My Roast Beef from a few posts ago turned out ok. I cooked it pretty rare-medium rare. The flavor of the brine was awesome but it didn't penetrate as deeply as I'd like. Next time I'll inject and brine for longer, as well as go for closer to medium than med-rare. The slicer, however, worked like a million bucks. Which leads to the next thing, the bacon.

Dry brined and cured for 5 or 6 days, then dried off in the frig for another day or two after a good rinse. It smoked for 4-5 hours at 180 and looked incredible with LJ Char-Hickory in the hopper and LJ Hickory in the smoke tube. For kicks I threw a low sodium spam dusted with Sucklebuster's Honey BBQ rub on with it.
View attachment 4273

After slicing, I immediately put a slice or two in a pan and fried them up. The down side... My bacon is nearly inedible due to salt. I followed a recipe which did not use a ratio but was for the same size portion (~3lb).. combo of spices, salt, curing salt and sugar.. Anyway, flavor is awesome but its tough to eat a full strip. It might be good for cooking with, so I sliced it up and froze it in to 8 strip packs.
View attachment 4274
I probably could have tried soaking it for a day to see if it'd pull some salt out, but i just blasted through in my disappointment. I'm just really glad I have another 3lb and a 4lb hunks of belly in the freezer waiting for perfection.

The spam turned out really good though :)

Edit: soaking these overly salted strips in water for 5-6 minutes results in perfect bacon.
I'd never thought of doing Spam. Next thing on my to do list.

First brisket. Not perfect but I am happy with it. Only about an 8lb brisket after trimming

Attachments

• IMG_1516.jpeg
    IMG_1516.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1517.jpeg
    IMG_1517.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1519.jpeg
    IMG_1519.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1520.jpeg
    IMG_1520.jpeg