New Pitboss Grills App

So not sure when mine updated but I am now having issues connecting to my grill. It dropped connectivity in the middle of a cook and I have not been able to regain connection. Where do I update firmware or update the app. Or whatever I need to do to get this back working. I currently have the Costco pitboss navigator 850

Not sure if this has been covered: At the end of a cook the app asks you to name it and then saves it. Where? How do I recall all of my "named" cooks? Would like to review time and temperature of some of my past masterpieces.

Thanks!

Well it looks like @PitbossGrillsDev has abandoned ship. Like most everybody else, I too am frustrated with the whole app/wifi thing. Just look at Google Play Store reviews for the Pit Boss app. 1.5 stars with no replies or acknowledgement from Pit Boss. Would have been nice if the app worked and worked consistently.
When the grills controller screen shows connected to wifi and my router shows my grill connected to my wifi, my phone is connected to my wifi, but the app shows the grill is NOT connected to wifi, the problem is NOT with my network. The problem is the breakdown of communication over the internet between the Pit Boss servers, the Pit Boss app and the Pit Boss grills controller and Pit Boss's refusal to make it right. Beings that it works sometimes, it would lead one to believe it's a Pit Boss server issue. It really is a shame they can't hire a top notch team of developers, even if it is a 3rd party, to straighten this out. It can be done. Just got to be willing to spend the money. They ought to hire my son. He's an exceptional program developer.

Last edited:
On Friday (2/23/24), I bought a new Pit Boss Pro Series 850. I went through the initial set-up steps and everything worked fine, except the wifi. I tried many different ways to fix the problem, but nothing worked. I called PB and they said it was the controller. They are sending me a new one. I am not one to let problems stay a problem. As I was driving my daughter around the next day, and the solution hit me.

I FIXED THE WIFI ISSUE. Here is the solution...
  • Whatever Pit Boss account you have on your app, delete it.
  • Delete the Pit Boss app, then reinstall the app
  • Create a brand new account and password (this is key)
  • Follow the steps to set-up your new grill (change the name of the grill. DO NOT use the same name from your old account)
  • Be sure you have a wifi network dedicated for 2.5 mghz
  • Enter your wifi network name and password
  • Follow the app screen prompts
After I did the above, my smoker was connected and I was able to control it from my app*

I hope this helps anyone who had the same problem that I had.

*I used it to make my a gorgeous chuck roast, and it worked great! Both Bluetooth and the wifi remained connected throughout. I was able to monitor everything from my phone, via my sofa :).

Note: If you want the recipe, just LMK

Attachments

• 20240223_184505.jpg
    20240223_184505.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240223_184743.jpg
    20240223_184743.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Well it looks like @PitbossGrillsDev has abandoned ship. Like most everybody else, I too am frustrated with the whole app/wifi thing. Just look at Google Play Store reviews for the Pit Boss app. 1.3 stars with no replies or acknowledgement from Pit Boss. Would have been nice if the app worked and worked consistently.
When the grills controller screen shows connected to wifi and my router shows my grill connected to my wifi, my phone is connected to my wifi, but the app shows the grill is NOT connected to wifi, the problem is NOT with my network. The problem is the breakdown of communication over the internet between the Pit Boss servers, the Pit Boss app and the Pit Boss grills controller and Pit Boss's refusal to make it right. Beings that it works sometimes, it would lead one to believe it's a Pit Boss server issue. It really is a shame they can't hire a top notch team of developers, even if it is a 3rd party, to straighten this out. It can be done. Just got to be willing to spend the money. They ought to hire my son. He's an exceptional program developer.
My wife is a software engineer and sees sloppy and lazy algorithms all the time. She works at a very high level of code and only a small percentage of developers hired in make it. There are apparently only a few that aren't hacks.

I've always said that performance is directly related to money spent. How badly do you want to perform?

I agree it's most likely a server/ connectivity issue. If you cheap out on the background infrastructure you will have crap for and overall performance. The app guy was tooting their horn on the app then went awol. I've never loaded the app but I'm sure it looks good but if you look at Google playstore it seems anyone can write an app, the infrastructure needs real software developers to work reliably.

"Hey we have a new app, check it out!!!" Glad you guys that got it to work and hope it's solid. I think it was during the Thanksgiving smoke the servers went down with apparently no secondary infrastructure. PB makes a solid smoker but seems to not be solidly in the app business. I glad mine has a knob on it.

My wife is a software engineer and sees sloppy and lazy algorithms all the time. She works at a very high level of code and only a small percentage of developers hired in make it. There are apparently only a few that aren't hacks.

I've always said that performance is directly related to money spent. How badly do you want to perform?

I agree it's most likely a server/ connectivity issue. If you cheap out on the background infrastructure you will have crap for and overall performance. The app guy was tooting their horn on the app then went awol. I've never loaded the app but I'm sure it looks good but if you look at Google playstore it seems anyone can write an app, the infrastructure needs real software developers to work reliably.

"Hey we have a new app, check it out!!!" Glad you guys that got it to work and hope it's solid. I think it was during the Thanksgiving smoke the servers went down with apparently no secondary infrastructure. PB makes a solid smoker but seems to not be solidly in the app business. I glad mine has a knob on it.
Spot on. And now with AI, you're seeing more and more so called Dev's letting AI write code. I really like my new Pit Boss grill and features. If I end up doing an overnight brisket or something, will probably temporarily block my grills mac address on my router. To many horror stories of Pit Boss servers doing crazy things to customers grills, i.e, changing temps and shutting down.

When I purchased my grill I could not connect via WIFI. They sent a new controller and setup was a breeze. Fast Forward a couple years we had a storm roll throw and electricity was in and out. First the first time ever my router actually reset itself. I had to setup it back up and unfortunately set the network name to the same but had one character capitalized. Anyhow, because of that I ended up needing to drop the network from all devices and add back the new one. No big deal. Get to the grill and it cannot connect to the wifi. What is odd is no matter what network name or password, even random fake info the screen on app would load and go back to back to enter wifi info page. No error, no message of any kind. Once that happened and I would go back in app to just use bluetooth i would get an app error Characteristic 15. I am a software developer and understand you can have the best code there is but some of the other functionality involved might not be your responsibility. Support told me they don't know whats the issue to just try again in a couple days. Pit Boss seems to be a permanent player in the pellet grill space, why not spend a little money and get the app working. Its not that big of a bill to pay to help with all the negative feedback. I bet they made the programmer stop posting here.

I FIXED THE WIFI ISSUE. Here is the solution...
Whatever Pit Boss account you have on your app, delete it.
Delete the Pit Boss app, then reinstall the app
Create a brand new account and password (this is key)
Follow the steps to set-up your new grill (change the name of the grill. DO NOT use the same name from your old account)
Be sure you have a wifi network dedicated for 2.5 mghz
Enter your wifi network name and password
Follow the app screen prompts
After I did the above, my smoker was connected and I was able to control it from my app*

Hello,
As you probably already know PitBoss have been launching their new App for Android and iOS devices!
I'm one of the app developer and I'd like to give you a quick list of issues/questions you might have and solutions/answers:

• I'm getting a lot of server errors or the app get stuck loading: Unfortunately we had some issues with our server just after launch that caused all these problems but they have been fixed and the app should be working fine now.
  • I'm not able to login or reset my password: Unfortunately the new app is completely separate from the old SmokeIT app; as such you will not be able to use the same account, but if you already have an account on pitboss-grills.com then you can use that one, or you can create a new account (even using the same credentials you have been using on SmokeIT).
  • The app doesn't see my grill: Make sure you have bluetooth enabled and (if using android) location enabled, also make sure you are close to the grill (I’d suggest within 5ft for this initial setup). Also if you own more than one grill, make sure only one is plugged in while adding them to the app.
  • Cannot connect my grill to WiFi network: If you cannot see your WiFi network on the app, first make sure you are not too far from your router, one way to do that is by staying with your phone next to your grill and see if you can connect to the WiFi network with your phone. If the WiFi network is in range but you still cannot see it listed there might be two possible reasons:
    1) there are other WiFi networks with a stronger signal that your grill is detecting, in this case you will still be able to connect by using the last option in the grill list that reads ">> Enter manually << and in this case you'll have to enter all details like the network name and the password manually.
    2) your WiFi network is configured to only work in the 5Ghz mode; the 5GHz mode is a "new" high performance mode that works great with devices that requires high bandwidth like laptops, phones or tablets, but is not ideal for IoT devices like your grill because it requires more power and more resources to be used so your grill will not be able to connect to a 5Ghz network, but don't despair, your router can be configured to work both in 5Ghz and 2.4GHz at the same time, leaving you the benefits of the high speed 5GHz and allowing you to connect many IoT devices, unfortunately the settings needed to be changed depends on your router, the easiest way to change those settings is probably to contact your provider and ask them to enable the dual band mode.
  • The App is asking me to update my grill, do I have to do it?: Yes you need to update your grill in order to control it with our new app, the update process is pretty simple and you only need to leave your phone close to your grill with the app open for 5 to 15 minutes (if you were able to connect the grill to wifi the process will be faster, otherwise it will be slower, but in any case shouldn't take more than 15 minutes)
  • I have updated my grill, can I still use SmokeIT ?: No, after you have updated your grill you will not be able to use it with SmokeIT anymore, but hopefully you will enjoy our new app a lot more and you will never want to go back to SmokeIT :)
  • Will the app sends notification when temperatures are reached?: Yes you will receive notification when the grill reach the set temperature or when probes reach the set temperatures, but be aware that for best reliability of this feature is better to connect your grill to WiFi.
  • Can I connect the same grill to more than one phone/tablet? Yes you can connect your grill to as many devices as you want, and you will receive notifications on all your devices! Also you can control your Grill from multiple devices at the same time!
  • Can I connect more than one grill on my phone ? Yes you can connect more than one grill, and you can control them all together from the same phone/tablet.
  • Some/all temperature settings i have on my grill/smoker are not available in the app: We designed the new app to mirror the same exact temperature settings you can set on your grill, so it's very important to select the correct grill/smoker model when adding it to the app. If you selected the correct model but you are still seeing different temperatures please let us know so we can investigate the issue ! If you selected the wrong model you need to remove the grill (click the pencil icon in the "grill" card, and then use the "trash" button in the top-right corner) and add it again!.
If you encounter other issues please let us know!
Last but not least, if you like the new app please don't forget to give us a nice rating, and if you are encountering issues please let us know and give us a couple day to fix it before giving a bad rating !
Thank you, we hope you enjoy our new app!
I have the PB1100PSC3 and first time using it and in the app I'm getting unexpected error charateristic 15 not found. Won't let me control my grill. It says it's connected via Bluetooth but not connected over wifi.

Hello,
As you probably already know PitBoss have been launching their new App for Android and iOS devices!
I'm one of the app developer and I'd like to give you a quick list of issues/questions you might have and solutions/answers:

• I'm getting a lot of server errors or the app get stuck loading: Unfortunately we had some issues with our server just after launch that caused all these problems but they have been fixed and the app should be working fine now.
  • I'm not able to login or reset my password: Unfortunately the new app is completely separate from the old SmokeIT app; as such you will not be able to use the same account, but if you already have an account on pitboss-grills.com then you can use that one, or you can create a new account (even using the same credentials you have been using on SmokeIT).
  • The app doesn't see my grill: Make sure you have bluetooth enabled and (if using android) location enabled, also make sure you are close to the grill (I’d suggest within 5ft for this initial setup). Also if you own more than one grill, make sure only one is plugged in while adding them to the app.
  • Cannot connect my grill to WiFi network: If you cannot see your WiFi network on the app, first make sure you are not too far from your router, one way to do that is by staying with your phone next to your grill and see if you can connect to the WiFi network with your phone. If the WiFi network is in range but you still cannot see it listed there might be two possible reasons:
    1) there are other WiFi networks with a stronger signal that your grill is detecting, in this case you will still be able to connect by using the last option in the grill list that reads ">> Enter manually << and in this case you'll have to enter all details like the network name and the password manually.
    2) your WiFi network is configured to only work in the 5Ghz mode; the 5GHz mode is a "new" high performance mode that works great with devices that requires high bandwidth like laptops, phones or tablets, but is not ideal for IoT devices like your grill because it requires more power and more resources to be used so your grill will not be able to connect to a 5Ghz network, but don't despair, your router can be configured to work both in 5Ghz and 2.4GHz at the same time, leaving you the benefits of the high speed 5GHz and allowing you to connect many IoT devices, unfortunately the settings needed to be changed depends on your router, the easiest way to change those settings is probably to contact your provider and ask them to enable the dual band mode.
  • The App is asking me to update my grill, do I have to do it?: Yes you need to update your grill in order to control it with our new app, the update process is pretty simple and you only need to leave your phone close to your grill with the app open for 5 to 15 minutes (if you were able to connect the grill to wifi the process will be faster, otherwise it will be slower, but in any case shouldn't take more than 15 minutes)
  • I have updated my grill, can I still use SmokeIT ?: No, after you have updated your grill you will not be able to use it with SmokeIT anymore, but hopefully you will enjoy our new app a lot more and you will never want to go back to SmokeIT :)
  • Will the app sends notification when temperatures are reached?: Yes you will receive notification when the grill reach the set temperature or when probes reach the set temperatures, but be aware that for best reliability of this feature is better to connect your grill to WiFi.
  • Can I connect the same grill to more than one phone/tablet? Yes you can connect your grill to as many devices as you want, and you will receive notifications on all your devices! Also you can control your Grill from multiple devices at the same time!
  • Can I connect more than one grill on my phone ? Yes you can connect more than one grill, and you can control them all together from the same phone/tablet.
  • Some/all temperature settings i have on my grill/smoker are not available in the app: We designed the new app to mirror the same exact temperature settings you can set on your grill, so it's very important to select the correct grill/smoker model when adding it to the app. If you selected the correct model but you are still seeing different temperatures please let us know so we can investigate the issue ! If you selected the wrong model you need to remove the grill (click the pencil icon in the "grill" card, and then use the "trash" button in the top-right corner) and add it again!.
If you encounter other issues please let us know!
Last but not least, if you like the new app please don't forget to give us a nice rating, and if you are encountering issues please let us know and give us a couple day to fix it before giving a bad rating !
Thank you, we hope you enjoy our new app!
I have tried every suggestion I can find to connect to WiFi. I was optimistic in reading this post, but still can not connect. I have deleted my account, re-installed the App, purchased a 2.4GHz only WiFi extender to be dedicated, enter the WiFi network manually, etc. The App see's my grill, my Android phone is connected to Bluetooth and location enabled, I'm able to select the WiFi network, but it won't pass this point to connect to my new PB1250CS. My phone is literally on my PB next to the 2.4GHz WiFi extender.
Bluetooth works OK, but the 30ft range is too short. I will optimistically continue to try to connect to WiFi. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Mine works. I'm not changing a thing. You DO NOT NEED TO USE BLUETOOTH in order to connect your PB. Mine is always off and the app works great.

I have tried every suggestion I can find to connect to WiFi. I was optimistic in reading this post, but still can not connect. I have deleted my account, re-installed the App, purchased a 2.4GHz only WiFi extender to be dedicated, enter the WiFi network manually, etc. The App see's my grill, my Android phone is connected to Bluetooth and location enabled, I'm able to select the WiFi network, but it won't pass this point to connect to my new PB1250CS. My phone is literally on my PB next to the 2.4GHz WiFi extender.
Bluetooth works OK, but the 30ft range is too short. I will optimistically continue to try to connect to WiFi. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.
I had the same problem. Tech had me unplug my router for a few minutes then reconnect it. Reset the password and it’s working fine now.

A wifi extender is just extending what is coming from your main router....and they lose halve the connected bandwidth.....depending on how far you are away from the main router.

1. Check your main router.....do you have two separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5.0....? If not, then this is the first thing I would do as a test. Split them apart and Make one WhateverName_5.0 and one WhateverName_2.4 and keep them separate.
2. Reduce the Security type of the WiFi to the level that is dictated by PitBoss....not sure what that is at the moment. WPA2...etc.
3. If at all possible.....run a hardwired Ethernet directly to the Extender and set it up as a access point at 2.4 only. That way it is not just trying to extend the other wireless network, but becomes a 2.4 access point close to the location of the smoker.
I did #3 above.....and I have zero issues connecting to my smoker....it is a dedicate access point for all my WiFi smokers/cookers....etc. It works for my Pitboss....my RecTec.....my Rainbird...and some LED lighting controllers....no problem. The issue may be getting an Ethernet cable from the router to a location closer to the smoker when you can put the Access Point.

Back