New Pitboss Grills App

For all those technical people out there, doea anyone know if there is a place where the MAC address is located for the wireless adapter? I am trying to determine if my grill is actually connecting to my home wifi or not, the "IT" icon says it is but the app keeps disconnecting...

in the beginning it did that to me I gave up on the blue tooth on my pB 4 you think PB would come up with a better solution its been a few years for me

For all those technical people out there, doea anyone know if there is a place where the MAC address is located for the wireless adapter? I am trying to determine if my grill is actually connecting to my home wifi or not, the "IT" icon says it is but the app keeps disconnecting...
Connectivity was fine about a year ago - then they upgraded their app. Total disconnect until I recently bought a new phone. Problem solved. Still not happy about that.

I don't believe the mac address is printed anywhere on the grill. I have a Linksys router and have a Linksys app that I can log into my router with and see every device that is connected and every device that has connected but is offline. I can also name every device and and assign an icon. When you recognize every device, you'll also recognize when a new device is connected. The name of my grill, by default was actually the last 4 characters of the grills mac address "F6C4". I renamed it to "Smoker".

Ended up finding the MAC and the IP... so the grill gets connected to the network, just the app consistently fails. :(

Anyone come across the credentials to login to the built-in web server that this has? Wondering if I couldn't kick off an upgrade from there...

1717427855434.png

Ended up finding the MAC and the IP... so the grill gets connected to the network, just the app consistently fails. :(

Anyone come across the credentials to login to the built-in web server that this has? Wondering if I couldn't kick off an upgrade from there...

View attachment 5525
Might try,
Username: admin
Password: admin
One other thing about the app disconnecting. Try turning off bluetooth on your device. Then see if the app stays connected with just wifi. I remember the app struggling to decide what to use when both bluetooth and wifi were available.

Last edited:
Thanks @Mark H. I'll give that a try!

Does anyone know if you can bring the controller online without the smoker trying to "start"? I'd like to try and update it but with the current weather I have it in a place where it shouldn't be actually "on". Essentially turn the unit on without it trying to start...

Thanks @Mark H. I'll give that a try!

Does anyone know if you can bring the controller online without the smoker trying to "start"? I'd like to try and update it but with the current weather I have it in a place where it shouldn't be actually "on". Essentially turn the unit on without it trying to start...
Absolutely. I always unplug my grill after I'm done using it. As soon as I plug it in for the next cook, it connects right away without having to turn it on. I see it on my Linksys router through the Linksys app I have on my phone.

Last edited:
So, just to continue my "adventure" :) ...

- Couldn't get the update to work on multiple phones.
- Got the update to work on a tablet, but it took 4 tries before it would actually get to 100% (hung at 7%, 35%, 87%)
- admin, admin is not the credentials for the built-in webserver :(
- I can see the unit online and can reach the device from wifi
- Neither Tablet (used to update the grill) nor phone can control the grill via wifi
- Only the Tablet can control the grill from Bluetooth, a phone logged into the same account can not

anyone have any suggestions?

So, just to continue my "adventure" :) ...

- Couldn't get the update to work on multiple phones.
- Got the update to work on a tablet, but it took 4 tries before it would actually get to 100% (hung at 7%, 35%, 87%)
- admin, admin is not the credentials for the built-in webserver :(
- I can see the unit online and can reach the device from wifi
- Neither Tablet (used to update the grill) nor phone can control the grill via wifi
- Only the Tablet can control the grill from Bluetooth, a phone logged into the same account can not

anyone have any suggestions?
1717787289933.png

Where are you seeing this UI? It doesn't look familiar to me.

If you go the ip address of your grill in a web browser, that's what shows up. Can't figure out what the credentials are though so I am not sure what's behind there, if anything
Have to check that out when I get back home. Other than your Pitt Boss account username and password, I don't know that one would be able to sign in there. As far as how the app and grill work together via wifi, once you're signed into your Pitt Boss account on the app and the grill is connected to wifi, the app and grill send and receive info from each other through Pitt Boss servers. Now that you have successfully connected your grill to your wifi via bluetooth, try turning off your bluetooth and just use wifi to monitor your grill. I remember having some kind of conflict when both bluetooth and wifi were on.

This app upgrade is awful. I can't get into the App except for the 'shopping' section.
I can't log in because 'customer not found.'
I can't register because 'email is already taken.'
I can't 'forgot password' because the number of reset attempt exceeded (on the first try - an no, I do not believe a bunch of black hat hackers in Russia are trying to hack into my grill to get my brisket cooking instructions).

This app used to work - on this phone. Now it doesn't. I only get notifications on my phone when the grill reaches its set temperature. There is nothing for the meant probe.

I tried chatting with an agent. He says "I understand you have questions about questions." Yeah, he is totally not a chatbot. He also said Pit Boss needs my phone number and email address to connect to my WiFi network which isn't true at all. It is clearly connected without this information as it is sending notifications to my phone.

Stop treating customers like merchandise!
Fix the app. It was literally better before the upgrade.

Back