New Pitboss Grills App

I'm getting server error

Hello,
As you probably already know PitBoss have been launching their new App for Android and iOS devices!
I'm one of the app developer and I'd like to give you a quick list of issues/questions you might have and solutions/answers:

• I'm getting a lot of server errors or the app get stuck loading: Unfortunately we had some issues with our server just after launch that caused all these problems but they have been fixed and the app should be working fine now.
  • I'm not able to login or reset my password: Unfortunately the new app is completely separate from the old SmokeIT app; as such you will not be able to use the same account, but if you already have an account on pitboss-grills.com then you can use that one, or you can create a new account (even using the same credentials you have been using on SmokeIT).
  • The app doesn't see my grill: Make sure you have bluetooth enabled and (if using android) location enabled, also make sure you are close to the grill (I’d suggest within 5ft for this initial setup). Also if you own more than one grill, make sure only one is plugged in while adding them to the app.
  • Cannot connect my grill to WiFi network: If you cannot see your WiFi network on the app, first make sure you are not too far from your router, one way to do that is by staying with your phone next to your grill and see if you can connect to the WiFi network with your phone. If the WiFi network is in range but you still cannot see it listed there might be two possible reasons:
    1) there are other WiFi networks with a stronger signal that your grill is detecting, in this case you will still be able to connect by using the last option in the grill list that reads ">> Enter manually << and in this case you'll have to enter all details like the network name and the password manually.
    2) your WiFi network is configured to only work in the 5Ghz mode; the 5GHz mode is a "new" high performance mode that works great with devices that requires high bandwidth like laptops, phones or tablets, but is not ideal for IoT devices like your grill because it requires more power and more resources to be used so your grill will not be able to connect to a 5Ghz network, but don't despair, your router can be configured to work both in 5Ghz and 2.4GHz at the same time, leaving you the benefits of the high speed 5GHz and allowing you to connect many IoT devices, unfortunately the settings needed to be changed depends on your router, the easiest way to change those settings is probably to contact your provider and ask them to enable the dual band mode.
  • The App is asking me to update my grill, do I have to do it?: Yes you need to update your grill in order to control it with our new app, the update process is pretty simple and you only need to leave your phone close to your grill with the app open for 5 to 15 minutes (if you were able to connect the grill to wifi the process will be faster, otherwise it will be slower, but in any case shouldn't take more than 15 minutes)
  • I have updated my grill, can I still use SmokeIT ?: No, after you have updated your grill you will not be able to use it with SmokeIT anymore, but hopefully you will enjoy our new app a lot more and you will never want to go back to SmokeIT :)
  • Will the app sends notification when temperatures are reached?: Yes you will receive notification when the grill reach the set temperature or when probes reach the set temperatures, but be aware that for best reliability of this feature is better to connect your grill to WiFi.
  • Can I connect the same grill to more than one phone/tablet? Yes you can connect your grill to as many devices as you want, and you will receive notifications on all your devices! Also you can control your Grill from multiple devices at the same time!
  • Can I connect more than one grill on my phone ? Yes you can connect more than one grill, and you can control them all together from the same phone/tablet.
  • Some/all temperature settings i have on my grill/smoker are not available in the app: We designed the new app to mirror the same exact temperature settings you can set on your grill, so it's very important to select the correct grill/smoker model when adding it to the app. If you selected the correct model but you are still seeing different temperatures please let us know so we can investigate the issue ! If you selected the wrong model you need to remove the grill (click the pencil icon in the "grill" card, and then use the "trash" button in the top-right corner) and add it again!.
If you encounter other issues please let us know!
Last but not least, if you like the new app please don't forget to give us a nice rating, and if you are encountering issues please let us know and give us a couple day to fix it before giving a bad rating !
Thank you, we hope you enjoy our new app!
I just stumbled on this today after getting set up for smoking some chicken. Went to check the temps and, Voilà! There was the graph, pretty as can be. Thank you for getting this feature back into the new app. And kudos for expanding it to show all four probe temps as well (the old one only showed the first two). Well done!

Add me to the list of users unable to get the Pit Boss App to sync with my PB1150 PS2. I have tried multiple devices and even though bluetooth shows connected, I have never been able to get to a temp setting or reading. Trying to add wifi is a lost cause as well. I have 5 APs in my network including an AP outdoors about 6' from the grill so I know that is not the issue. Starting to think I have a controlled issue more so than an app issue.

Last edited:
Add me to the list of users unable to get the Pit Boss App to sync with my PB1150 PS2. I have tried multiple devices and even though bluetooth shows connected, I have never been able to get to a temp setting or reading. Trying to add wifi is a lost cause as well. I have 5 APs in my network including an AP outdoors about 6' from the grill so I know that is not the issue. Starting to think I have a controlled issue more so than an app issue.
Talked with customer service and they are sending me a new controller.

Copied from another ""New APP'" post from today.
"""Well, am Android as well and app works EXCEPT I have to close and reopen it everytime I check it as it loses or freezes up with the smoker. The app on the phone says its this temp, but the smoker reads something else and the only way to get them paired up is close and restart and connect the app. As of yet, not a peep from Pit Boss on here about it.."""

Copied from another ""New APP'" post from today.
"""Well, am Android as well and app works EXCEPT I have to close and reopen it everytime I check it as it loses or freezes up with the smoker. The app on the phone says its this temp, but the smoker reads something else and the only way to get them paired up is close and restart and connect the app. As of yet, not a peep from Pit Boss on here about it.."""
I have an iPhone and the app overall did fine for me yesterday during a smoke. At the end I did have it freeze up, non responsive to navigation, etc. A restart fixed that.
I accidentally unplugged the smoker yesterday and quickly plugged it back in. Checking my app, it stayed connected and maintained the graph as if nothing happened.

After a long, rainy winter I fired up the ole PB850 for a brisket smoke and was presented with the 'update the controller' and 'start using the new app' scenario. I did both. Happy to say everything went smoothly and finished up a nice brisket yesterday morning after an all night smoke. Graphs were cool, added notes as I went in the box provided, 'saved' it. Only problem is that now I want to review the smoke and I cannot find it anywhere. There is no way you are not actually saving these smokes to my account is there? Where can I find it?

Hello,
As you probably already know PitBoss have been launching their new App for Android and iOS devices!
I'm one of the app developer and I'd like to give you a quick list of issues/questions you might have and solutions/answers:

• I'm getting a lot of server errors or the app get stuck loading: Unfortunately we had some issues with our server just after launch that caused all these problems but they have been fixed and the app should be working fine now.
  • I'm not able to login or reset my password: Unfortunately the new app is completely separate from the old SmokeIT app; as such you will not be able to use the same account, but if you already have an account on pitboss-grills.com then you can use that one, or you can create a new account (even using the same credentials you have been using on SmokeIT).
  • The app doesn't see my grill: Make sure you have bluetooth enabled and (if using android) location enabled, also make sure you are close to the grill (I’d suggest within 5ft for this initial setup). Also if you own more than one grill, make sure only one is plugged in while adding them to the app.
  • Cannot connect my grill to WiFi network: If you cannot see your WiFi network on the app, first make sure you are not too far from your router, one way to do that is by staying with your phone next to your grill and see if you can connect to the WiFi network with your phone. If the WiFi network is in range but you still cannot see it listed there might be two possible reasons:
    1) there are other WiFi networks with a stronger signal that your grill is detecting, in this case you will still be able to connect by using the last option in the grill list that reads ">> Enter manually << and in this case you'll have to enter all details like the network name and the password manually.
    2) your WiFi network is configured to only work in the 5Ghz mode; the 5GHz mode is a "new" high performance mode that works great with devices that requires high bandwidth like laptops, phones or tablets, but is not ideal for IoT devices like your grill because it requires more power and more resources to be used so your grill will not be able to connect to a 5Ghz network, but don't despair, your router can be configured to work both in 5Ghz and 2.4GHz at the same time, leaving you the benefits of the high speed 5GHz and allowing you to connect many IoT devices, unfortunately the settings needed to be changed depends on your router, the easiest way to change those settings is probably to contact your provider and ask them to enable the dual band mode.
  • The App is asking me to update my grill, do I have to do it?: Yes you need to update your grill in order to control it with our new app, the update process is pretty simple and you only need to leave your phone close to your grill with the app open for 5 to 15 minutes (if you were able to connect the grill to wifi the process will be faster, otherwise it will be slower, but in any case shouldn't take more than 15 minutes)
  • I have updated my grill, can I still use SmokeIT ?: No, after you have updated your grill you will not be able to use it with SmokeIT anymore, but hopefully you will enjoy our new app a lot more and you will never want to go back to SmokeIT :)
  • Will the app sends notification when temperatures are reached?: Yes you will receive notification when the grill reach the set temperature or when probes reach the set temperatures, but be aware that for best reliability of this feature is better to connect your grill to WiFi.
  • Can I connect the same grill to more than one phone/tablet? Yes you can connect your grill to as many devices as you want, and you will receive notifications on all your devices! Also you can control your Grill from multiple devices at the same time!
  • Can I connect more than one grill on my phone ? Yes you can connect more than one grill, and you can control them all together from the same phone/tablet.
  • Some/all temperature settings i have on my grill/smoker are not available in the app: We designed the new app to mirror the same exact temperature settings you can set on your grill, so it's very important to select the correct grill/smoker model when adding it to the app. If you selected the correct model but you are still seeing different temperatures please let us know so we can investigate the issue ! If you selected the wrong model you need to remove the grill (click the pencil icon in the "grill" card, and then use the "trash" button in the top-right corner) and add it again!.
If you encounter other issues please let us know!
Last but not least, if you like the new app please don't forget to give us a nice rating, and if you are encountering issues please let us know and give us a couple day to fix it before giving a bad rating !
Thank you, we hope you enjoy our new app!
I have spent hours trying to connect. It will not find my grill. The Bluetooth icon is on and Bluetooth on my phone is on. Please help!

I’m green to pit boss. I bought 440D2. Is it able to use the app? Can’t see the blue tooth from the grill while standing right next to it.

Thanks!

I have spent hours trying to connect. It will not find my grill. The Bluetooth icon is on and Bluetooth on my phone is on. Please help!
Yep. Same experience here in the UK. I have the Louisiana Founders Series 1200FP grill. Smoke IT was fairly poor, requiring the odd reset, reconnect to get it to work. The new PitBoss app won’t even find my grill using Bluetooth.
Do I need to reset my grill and start again? If so how?
I’m still using the SmokeIT app, which is now only working with Bluetooth, but at least it connects.
Love the food the grill makes, the grill itself has some issues.

Yep. Same experience here in the UK. I have the Louisiana Founders Series 1200FP grill. Smoke IT was fairly poor, requiring the odd reset, reconnect to get it to work. The new PitBoss app won’t even find my grill using Bluetooth.
Do I need to reset my grill and start again? If so how?
I’m still using the SmokeIT app, which is now only working with Bluetooth, but at least it connects.
Love the food the grill makes, the grill itself has some issues.
Welcome to the group

Welcome to the group
Hi,
I probably should have led with a “Hello” 😁. I got into smoker BBQ grills last year and have rapidly become obsessed. The weather here in the UK is not great, but I make do.

Today is the first BBQ of the year for me, my last one being on Christmas Day.
I had so much trouble getting this grill in the first place, I am just a little frustrated at having another problem to deal with, now that PitBoss have changed the app. Smoker type BBQs are not very common in the UK, so getting help is not easy.

Hi,
I probably should have led with a “Hello” 😁. I got into smoker BBQ grills last year and have rapidly become obsessed. The weather here in the UK is not great, but I make do.

Today is the first BBQ of the year for me, my last one being on Christmas Day.
I had so much trouble getting this grill in the first place, I am just a little frustrated at having another problem to deal with, now that PitBoss have changed the app. Smoker type BBQs are not very common in the UK, so getting help is not easy.
Where my son lives in Germany, it’s the same. He bought a stick burner at the PX near him and smokes various cuts that he shares with his native German neighbors. So far, they are on the fence as far as liking the smoked products. His goal is to make them believers before moving on.

I’m still using the SmokeIT app, which is now only working with Bluetooth
I haven't attempted any updates yet because there's plenty of bad reviews of the new app causing connection issues. (in this thread, plenty of success too).. but right now I'm in the same situation. The smoker knows the wifi and is connected, but the ap refuses to use wifi to connect back to the smoker. Its frustrating since this is literally the primary function I wanted on this smoker. I'm afraid if I try updating, then even Bluetooth will quit on me.

Back