New Pitboss Grills App

I needed a different app for my Louisiana Black Label grill. Called customer service and they stated Smoke It app doesn't work with Louisiana grills. Found Louisiana app in Google app store. Downloaded to my phone and it is working great so far. Customer service was very helpful.

I noticed that I can no longer remove existing grills or add a new one in the SmokeIT app. Very frustrating. Despite being a bit flaky at times, it used to work ok before it was deprecated.
Just looked at the Louisiana app on the Apple App Store. It has one 1 star rating, which is less than complimentary.

Hello,
As you probably already know PitBoss have been launching their new App for Android and iOS devices!
I'm one of the app developer and I'd like to give you a quick list of issues/questions you might have and solutions/answers:

• I'm getting a lot of server errors or the app get stuck loading: Unfortunately we had some issues with our server just after launch that caused all these problems but they have been fixed and the app should be working fine now.
  • I'm not able to login or reset my password: Unfortunately the new app is completely separate from the old SmokeIT app; as such you will not be able to use the same account, but if you already have an account on pitboss-grills.com then you can use that one, or you can create a new account (even using the same credentials you have been using on SmokeIT).
  • The app doesn't see my grill: Make sure you have bluetooth enabled and (if using android) location enabled, also make sure you are close to the grill (I’d suggest within 5ft for this initial setup). Also if you own more than one grill, make sure only one is plugged in while adding them to the app.
  • Cannot connect my grill to WiFi network: If you cannot see your WiFi network on the app, first make sure you are not too far from your router, one way to do that is by staying with your phone next to your grill and see if you can connect to the WiFi network with your phone. If the WiFi network is in range but you still cannot see it listed there might be two possible reasons:
    1) there are other WiFi networks with a stronger signal that your grill is detecting, in this case you will still be able to connect by using the last option in the grill list that reads ">> Enter manually << and in this case you'll have to enter all details like the network name and the password manually.
    2) your WiFi network is configured to only work in the 5Ghz mode; the 5GHz mode is a "new" high performance mode that works great with devices that requires high bandwidth like laptops, phones or tablets, but is not ideal for IoT devices like your grill because it requires more power and more resources to be used so your grill will not be able to connect to a 5Ghz network, but don't despair, your router can be configured to work both in 5Ghz and 2.4GHz at the same time, leaving you the benefits of the high speed 5GHz and allowing you to connect many IoT devices, unfortunately the settings needed to be changed depends on your router, the easiest way to change those settings is probably to contact your provider and ask them to enable the dual band mode.
  • The App is asking me to update my grill, do I have to do it?: Yes you need to update your grill in order to control it with our new app, the update process is pretty simple and you only need to leave your phone close to your grill with the app open for 5 to 15 minutes (if you were able to connect the grill to wifi the process will be faster, otherwise it will be slower, but in any case shouldn't take more than 15 minutes)
  • I have updated my grill, can I still use SmokeIT ?: No, after you have updated your grill you will not be able to use it with SmokeIT anymore, but hopefully you will enjoy our new app a lot more and you will never want to go back to SmokeIT :)
  • Will the app sends notification when temperatures are reached?: Yes you will receive notification when the grill reach the set temperature or when probes reach the set temperatures, but be aware that for best reliability of this feature is better to connect your grill to WiFi.
  • Can I connect the same grill to more than one phone/tablet? Yes you can connect your grill to as many devices as you want, and you will receive notifications on all your devices! Also you can control your Grill from multiple devices at the same time!
  • Can I connect more than one grill on my phone ? Yes you can connect more than one grill, and you can control them all together from the same phone/tablet.
  • Some/all temperature settings i have on my grill/smoker are not available in the app: We designed the new app to mirror the same exact temperature settings you can set on your grill, so it's very important to select the correct grill/smoker model when adding it to the app. If you selected the correct model but you are still seeing different temperatures please let us know so we can investigate the issue ! If you selected the wrong model you need to remove the grill (click the pencil icon in the "grill" card, and then use the "trash" button in the top-right corner) and add it again!.
If you encounter other issues please let us know!
Last but not least, if you like the new app please don't forget to give us a nice rating, and if you are encountering issues please let us know and give us a couple day to fix it before giving a bad rating !
Thank you, we hope you enjoy our new app!
This app is not working. Keep getting password not right and can't reset.

Since I was going to be home and had some time, I decided to steel myself for frustration and update the ap and controller. It seemed to work pretty smoothly. The app recognized the grill was connected to my home wifi *which stopped working on the grill a long time ago despite being connected still*... and updates went through fine.

So far i'm humming along in a quick pork tenderloin smoke and wifi is actually working! the ap UI is fine so far. old one was perfectly fine for me and my usage too. As long as it stays solidly connected i'll be happy.

The app needs a lot more work..the more I use it the more it has connectivity issues…also how about a P button? And a feed button?

I have updated to the new software and updated the firmware in the grill and still cannot connect to Wi-Fi and now on top of that when trying to with bluetooth I keep getting this error.
1683720756263.png

Loaded the new app. Going through setup. Not planning on connecting to WiFI, just need Bluetooth to get grill temperatures on my phone. The setup stalls and tells me my settings need changed. I have given Bluetooth permissions, it keeps asking if I want to switch my setting from approximate on location. I don't, and why would it need my location anyway? To use Bluetooth an app just needs the Bluetooth Device ID. How do I connect with just BT?

Loaded the new app. Going through setup. Not planning on connecting to WiFI, just need Bluetooth to get grill temperatures on my phone. The setup stalls and tells me my settings need changed. I have given Bluetooth permissions, it keeps asking if I want to switch my setting from approximate on location. I don't, and why would it need my location anyway? To use Bluetooth an app just needs the Bluetooth Device ID. How do I connect with just BT?
That is a Google and apple thing not the grill app

Constant errors and no notes saved, not like it matters though as it is super inconsistent.
Just checked my app though I’m not running the PB currently.
Going to the smoker, then clicking the graph data my past four cooks show up but the names and notes are inconsistent.
If I try to delete a session it won’t delete.

Anyone running the PB app get the message Your Grill has turned off have you finished your cook. I get this randomly while the grill is still running.

Anyone running the PB app get the message Your Grill has turned off have you finished your cook. I get this randomly while the grill is still running.
No. What I got was after I was done with a smoke, I cranked up the temperature to 400 deg for a burn off. I was doing this on the controller so when I hit it to put it to 400 it said I was in S mode. Needless to say, I was making temperature increases through my phone and not at the controller. It got to around 350 and gave me a message to check my owner's manual and I was out of pellets. (hopper was 80% full). I shut it down then restarted it and it was fine all the way to 400 deg. Weird. Safety interlock? If a child was messing with it at the controller?

Back